Department of Oral Medicine in Tabriz dentistry college has been working since 1374, which was initially accompanied by two faculty members and the general education of students, and currently it is continued with 9 faculty members and general education courses in national, Aras, and the specialized courses in oral diseases. The specialized courses have been started since 1385 with the acceptance of two specialist assistants.
Improving the quality of the infection control program:
- Monitoring vaccination against hepatitis B for all staff of the dental faculty who are directly or indirectly in contact with blood or saliva of the patients.
- General education on how to deal with and contact with AIDS patients for all relevant curative staff in dentistry faculty
- Providing preventive services, treatment, reducing injuries, and rehabilitation with desired quality in oral lesions and based on the most reliable scientific findings in infectious patients by 70 percent in five years.
- Development and updating of continuous educational courses in the field of prevention and infection control annually.
Implementation of a comprehensive treatment plan,
- Designing and integrating plans for controlling the risk of diseases causing factors in a comprehensive treatment plan by 50 percent in five years
- Creating the possibility of scientific exchanges and consulting with other departments of the faculty to provide scientific, logical and legal models for the prevention of oral lesions based on native diseases by 70 percent in five years
- Responsiveness to the diverse needs of the patients in the optimal performance of specialized services
- Promoting the dentistry culture of community
- Increasing public awareness about introducing and familiarizing with the field of oral diseases through mass media and other information tools in the form of holding monthly meetings.
- To publish and provide educational brochures on infection control for patients referring to clinics and treatment centers of Tabriz dental faculty
- Ineffectiveness in coordination and proper organization between the effective elements within the department and body of the university
- Inconsistency in the development of health programs with the rapid passage of epidemiological diseases
- Lack of insurance support from preventive and therapeutic services
- Lack of coordination between budget allocation and strategic plans
- Insufficient attention to human resources and inefficiency of the system of encouragement and punishment
- Insufficient supervision to applied research
- Lack of standard archives for the availability of oral health issues
- Flawed implementation of approved structure and lack of clarity in responsibilities, powers and the level of accountability
- Inadequate facilities for recruiting and employing well-trained and educated ready to work forces
- Needs assessment of oral diseases based on the local and regional priorities
- Design and development of continuing education programs
- Developing and updating the standards of the programs for prevention from occupational infections
- Designing a program to improve the quality of infection control
- Compilation of a computerized reporting software program
- Release of the results of conducted research through congresses inside and outside the country
- Invitation of experts from universities to participate in continuing educational seminars and internal conferences
- Periodic evaluation of the research performance of oral diseases and diagnosis department
- Availability of scientific and human resources for planning
- Providing a part of the health sector’s financial resources from public resources of government
- Availability of advanced laboratory and diagnostic equipment
- Production of a high percentage of the required pharmaceutical quantity in the country
- Tendency and sensitivity in the decision-making system to solve the problems of deprived areas and vulnerable groups
- Accumulation of health insurances at the ministry of Welfare
- People’s and sovereignty’s desire in community participation in promoting health and changing lifestyle
- Increased public awareness about oral health issues
- Development of scientific capability and human resources in the field of technical development of dentistry equipment
- Access to advanced educational and research technology
- The existence of mass media across the country
- Reducing the purchasing power of people and the development of health inequalities in the country
- Non-intervention of insurance system in the issues of risk reduction and promotion of oral hygiene
- The ineffectiveness of the role of the media in the production of culture and behaviors that reduce the risks of oral health
- The discrepancy of some advertising and media information with community health such as increasing the role of dentists in the transmission of AIDS
- A part of community is not being covered by a health insurance
- Expansion of risks and unsafe behaviors threatening the health
- The high share of people in financing the health sector
- Uncontrolled migration of the population from neighboring countries to our country which is effective in emergence and transmission of diseases
- Uncertainty in the occupational status of the members of faculty and the possibility of not recruiting experts and elites.
The list of oral diseases group’s authorities “
1374 revered department manager, late Dr. Azar Darbandi
1375-89 Dr. Ali Taghavi Zonuz, department manager
1389-93 Dr. Firouz Pour Ali Baba, Department manager
1393-95 Dr.Ali Taghavi zonuzi, Department manager
1385-90 Dr. Masoumeh Mehdi Pour- Specialist supervisor
1390-92 Dr. Hosein Eslami- Specialist supervisor
1392-94 Dr. Raana Attaran- Specialist supervisor
1394-95 Dr. Farzaneh Pakdel-Specialist Supervisor
The comprehensive dental treatment which is being carried out in this faculty is the responsibility of the department of oral diseases.
The dental hospital located in this college in which the treatment of the patients is allowed in surgery room and in anesthetic condition, is being carried out with coordination and supervision of dermatologists.
Strategic plan :
Department of oral and maxillofacial diseases 1387-1392
The aim of the oral diseases department of Tabriz university of Medical Sciences is that in addition to qualitative and quantitative development of education, providing research and provision of therapeutic services relying on the cultural and ethnic values of the society and the current laws of the country, and strengthening self-esteem using the most advanced technology and new educational methods to improve the level of oral and dental health at the global standards level, and to promote the excellence, growth, prosperity and scientific flourishing of the graduates and the scientific excellence of the faculty in the country and the world.
Department of oral diseases of Tabriz university of Medical Sciences tends to play a central role at the national and international level in order to promote sustainable development of the country and play a key role in promoting oral and dental health of the community through training and empowerment of experts and practitioners of dental sciences in the country on the one hand, and production and transfer of reliable, valid knowledge based on the needs of the community and the native diseases on the other hand, and put the development of the research culture and the creation of a suitable platform for enhancing the research capacities of the faculty, emergence of the creativity, development of applied and productive research as his main mission. It also intends to be identified as the national reference center based on the best available evidence, with the help of specialist faculty members and development of the facilities for the treatment of one of the oral diseases such as lichen planus and aphthous ulcer.
The department of oral diseases of Tabriz university of Medical Sciences in fulfilling its obligations and realizing its goals has accepted collective participation, accountability, honesty and integrity, respect for intellectual property, observance of medical ethics as its core values and committed itself to their implementation.
Goals and objectives :
- Improving the level of educational and research skills in general and specialized courses
- Developing the necessary educational texts in accordance with the principle of skills training based on internationally valid sources
- Training of two specialist assistants each year
- Establishment of priority system for research in the field of oral diseases and diagnosis
- Leading, facilitating, and implementing, research projects at the faculty of dentistry in coordination with other sections.
- Establishment and expanding of the easy access of members of the faculty to various scientific sources of dentistry up to 70 percent in five years (5 percent annually)
- International grant recruitment
- Qualitative and quantitative promotion of research activities in order to better understand the mechanism of diseases such as lichen planus and aphthous ulcer (canker sore).
- Introduction, maintenance and strengthening of the position of oral diseases of Tabriz university of medical sciences in provincial, national, and international arena.
- Prioritizing the research of dental sciences based on needs assessment and based on the local and regional priorities in the framework of the policies of the Ministry of Health and Medical Education by 25 percent in five years
- Developing and managing research projects in line with local and regional priorities by 25 percent for five years.
- Encouraging and empowering faculty members and students to implement dental research projects by 60 percent in five years
- Gaining cooperation and continuity with the industry with accepting orders from institutions and in order to help meet the financial needs of the research activities by 20 percent in five years.
- Holding and organization of an annual conference of oral diseases in Tabriz
- Promotion of awareness and knowledge of faculty members in the field of information and communication technology.
- Providing educational and research services in the suitable physical environment with experienced and capable faculty members and researchers in the amount of 70 percent in five years (computer, reference books and journals preparation, …)
- Participation and presentation of an article at the international congress of the country each year for each faculty members
- Access to advanced educational, research, medical, and diagnostic technologies for faculty members in the form of organizing workshops every six months
- Organizing intra-unit seminars on a weekly basis for the exchange of scientific information of the members of the department
- Establishing a broad network of internet communications with relevant international organizations by 30 percent in five years